*NOTE: In January 2020, the name of our partnership was changed from the Wisconsin Bird Conservation Initiative (WBCI) to the Wisconsin Bird Conservation Partnership (WBCP).
- Surveyed 300+ bird educators for input and ideas to improve diversity in birding.
- Hosted the 2013 WBCI Annual Meeting with a bird education and diversity in birding focus.
- Identified key bird education materials and programs appropriate to Wisconsin students preschool through college levels.
- Conducted a teacher survey to discover how best to deliver bird education to the schools.
- Developed a Mentor Program that will be initiated in each county to foster an interest in birds, birding, and bird conservation.
- Developed and began distributing a Bird Monitoring Kit to assist Mentors and educators introducing birds and birding in the field or classroom. Each kit includes 15 pairs of binoculars, a spotting scope and tripod, three field guides, a PowerPoint presentation, a Birds of Wisconsin placemat, poster of backyard birds, and an educator’s activity guide.
- Planned and presented a workshop introducing some key bird education resources to educators.
- Trained 173 educators in the Flying WILD program over the past 4 years.
Current and Ongoing Activities
- Distributing quarterly Bird Education Newsletter to bird educators statewide.
- Identifying and implementing solutions to increase diversity among birders.
- Developing a long-term plan for bird education in Wisconsin.
- Producing and distributing additional Bird Monitoring Kits.
- Implementing the Council for Environmental Education’s program, Flying WILD, An Educator’s Guide for Celebrating Birds.
- Molly McKay – Conservationist, Langlade County
- Susan Schuller – Senior Outreach Specialist, UW-Stevens Point, WI Center for Environmental Education
- Bob Welch – Science Instructor, School District of Waupaca
- Korie Klink – Director, Children Are The Hope
- Liz Herzmann – Wildlife Educator, WI DNR Horicon Marsh Education & Visitor Center