Presentations from Landscaping For Migratory Birds:
A Workshop For Land Managers
Presented at All Locations
- An overview of songbird stopover sites in the Great Lakes region: Characterization, distribution, and protection by Dr. Dave Ewert, Science Director, TNC-Great Lakes Program.
- Invasive plant management to promote migratory birds by Kelly Kearns, Invasive Plants Coordinator, Endangered Resources Program, WI Department of Natural Resources.
- Establishing migratory stopover habitat: From golf course to migratory preserve by Bill Mueller, Ornithologist, Western Great Lakes Bird and Bat Observatory.
Presented at Sturtevant
- Weather radar observations of important bird stopover areas in the Great Lakes region by Dr. Jeffrey Buler, Assistant Professor, Department of Entomology and Wildlife Ecology, University of Delaware (co-authors: Dr. Robert Smith, University of Scranton and Jennifer Owen, Michigan State University).
Presented at Belgium
- Tree use by spring migratory songbirdsby Paul Schilke, University of Wisconsin-Madison Silvis Lab, Forest and Wildlife Ecology (co-author: Eric Wood, Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison).
Presented at Green Bay
- Patterns of bird migration at the Point au Sable Nature Preserve: A “stopover smorgasbord” in lower Green Bay by Dr. Robert Howe, Cofrin Center for Biodiversity, University of Wisconsin – Green Bay (co-authors: Amy Wolf, Nick Walton, Erin Giese, Stephanie Beilke, Tom Prestby).
- Monitoring to assess habitat enhancement practices for migratory birds by Katie Koch, Midwest Coordinated Bird Monitoring Partnership, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
Discussion Panel featuring Dr. Noel Cutright, Western Great Lakes Bird and Bat Observatory (WGLBBO); Joe Henry, WDNR; Dr. Dave Ewert, TNC-Great Lakes Program; Bill Mueller, WGLBBO; Mike Grimm, TNC-Green Bay Office; Kim Grveles, WDNR; and Katie Koch, US FWS.
Discussion Panels were moderated by Dr. Noel Cutright, WGLBBO. Other participants serving on discussion panels, as hosts, as photographers, etc. include Mike Hoffer, Ozaukee Washington Land Trust; Marty Johnson, WDNR; Mike Reed, Bay Beach Wildlife Sanctuary; Sumner Matteson, WDNR; and Gail Epping Overholt, UW-Extension. We are grateful to all our partners who made these events possible, especially Dave Ewert, Bill Mueller, Noel Cutright, Kelly Kearns, and Joanne Kline. Funding was provided by the Natural Resources Foundation of Wisconsin and the Wisconsin Coastal Management Program