Backyard Stopover Habitat Information and Tips
Managing Habitats for Migrating Land Birds is a practical guide describing how private landowners and managers of corporate lands, city parks, and other public areas can manage habitats to assist birds as they migrate through the Great Lakes region, especially around Lake Michigan.
- Beyond the Bird Feeder: Creating a Bird Friendly Yard with Native Wisconsin Plants, by Mariette Nowak. Download the free brochure. Part 1 and Part 2 of a full color version are also free to download.
- Urban Gardening for Birds (Cornell Lab of Ornithology).
- How to Manage Your Land to Help Birds by V.D. Piaskowski, K.M. Williams, G.K. Boese, Ph.D., and P.A. Brookmire (Zoological Society of Milwaukee). Download a free copy of a habitat manual for migratory birds.
- Unpave the Way for Wildlife: Create Habitat Along the Migration Trail (Journey North News). This site has links to several good resources.
- Brush Piles (The Humane Society of the United States).
Control of Invasive Plants
- Invasive Plant Association of Wisconsin (IPAW): tips on identification and control of invasive plants.
- Midwest Invasive Plant Network (MIPN): early detection, control and management, events, and links to other resources.
- WDNR Invasive Species: this site has comprehensive information including laws and policy relating to invasives and how to report invasive species in your area.
- Outdoor Recreation Best Management Practices: how to avoid spreading invasive species when recreating in Wisconsin’s outdoors.
Protection of Migratory Songbirds at Urban and Suburban Stopovers
- American Bird Conservancy: Birds and Collisions
- American Bird Conservancy: Keeping Cats Indoors
- Audubon Society: Reducing Pesticide Use at Home
- Chicago Bird Collision Monitors (CBCM): migratory bird rescue and protection
- Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources: A Field Guide To Terrestrial Invasive Plants In Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Humane Society – WINGS (Wisconsin Night Guardians for Songbirds). Window collision prevention and more.
Birdwatching and Tourism
- Great Wisconsin Birding and Nature Trail. Download free trail maps.
Be a Citizen Scientist and Help Monitor Birds
- Cornell Lab of Ornithology Citizen Science Blog. NestCam, Nestwatch, and more.
- Cornell Lab of Ornithology Great Backyard Bird Count.
- U.S.G.S. North American Breeding Bird Survey
- Wisconsin Bird Monitoring. Citizen monitoring of marshbirds, nightjars, owls, etc.